Lib Dems choose Invicta girl Emily Fermor to stand against Helen Grant MP
Tuesday 27th September 2016
A FORMER Invicta Grammar School pupil has been chosen to represent the Liberal Democrats at the next general election in the Maidstone and the Weald constituency.
Oxford graudate Emily Fermor, 23, of Coxheath, will take on Helen Grant, the sitting Conservative MP.
Miss Fermor was elected by a single vote in May’s borough council elections to the Coxheath and Hunton ward, beating the Tories.
She was part of former Lib Dem parliamentary candidate Jasper Gerard’s general elelction team in 2015.
Miss Fermor, who works for a London public relations firm as a consultant, said: “I have lived in Maidstone all of my life and have a knowledge and understanding of our local town and villages that can’t be taught. I relish the opportunity to prove myself in the coming years.
“Nationally, the country is in crisis. Both the Conservatives and Labour are focused entirely on in-fighting while the economy worsens, threatening jobs, public services and our efforts to build the houses Britain so badly needs.”
Mrs Grant swept into the seat in 2015 with a majority of more than 10,000. She has been approached for a comment.
- Message from Downs Mail President Dennis Fowle
- STATEMENT: Downs Mail goes into liquidation
- 999: Langley burglary suspect detained by police
- WARNING: Wear a seatbelt of face a fine of £500 - claim police
- Wine and beer tasting for Hospices of Hope charity
- Wendy's burger joint is coming to Maidstone - details
- Tonbridge and Malling residents get best value for council tax in Kent - survey
- Free Heart of Kent Hospice Treasure Trail next month - details