M20 LATEST: Chaos on the A20 this weekend as Operation Brock is lifted
Friday 30th July 2021
THE M20 Operation Brock contraflow system is to be taken down this weekend - causing major problems on the A20.
It was put in place in anticipation of the lifting of lockdown restrictions earlier this month.
Highways England said that the barrier will be removed between Maidstoine and Ashford overnight on Saturday and will see the M20 return to three full width lanes at the national speed limit.
The barrier was put in place on a 15-mile section of the M20 between junctions 8 ( Maidstone) and 9 (Ashford) on Saturday July 17.
A spokesman said: "Highways England has agreed with the Kent Resilience Forum and the Department for Transport it is the right time to deactivate the contraflow."
Diversions will mean the traffic will be redirected onto the A20 causing inconvenience and disruption to villages such as Harrietsham and Lenham.
HIGHWAYS ENGLAND ADVISES:
The diversion routes are as follows:
• Junction 9 to 8 London bound diversion route: Traffic will be diverted from junction 9 towards the A20 Maidstone, then re-join the M20 motorway at junction 8. Vehicles over 4.7m height need to follow a different route which is to turn around at junction 9 to re-join the M20 towards Dover, then the A20 Dover, then follow the A2 Canterbury, then the M2 London toexit the motorway at junction 7 onto the A249 towards Maidstone. This will allow these over height vehiclesto re-join the M20 motorway at junction 7. Junction 8 can be accessed via the A20 for vehicles under 4.7m.
• Junction 7 to 9 coast bound diversion route: Traffic will be diverted from junction 7, heading towards the A249 Canterbury, then follow the M2 Dover, then A2 Dover, then the A20 London which re-joins the M20.
- BREAKING: Vehicle hits bridge near Maidstone - all train lines blocked
- WARNING: Temporary traffic lights on main road near Maidstone
- CRASH DELAYS: Busy road blocked following RTC in Maidstone
- JAILED: Text pest Tim Mumford faked his death to harass woman PC - court
- GBBO: Tom from Maidstone first to leave Great British Bake Off show on Channel 4
- CCTV APPEAL: Ramp for disabled visitors stolen from dental practice
- COURT: Katy Sue Lafferty to stand trial for drink driving
- WARNING: Crash blocks busy road in Maidstone