MAIDSTONE BLAZE: Fire crews called after burner incident - full details
Tuesday 28th January 2020
FIRE crews have been scrambled to an address in Bearsted this afternoon.
The Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a home in Otteridge Road, Bearsted, after embers from a wood burner set fire to a pile of logs stored next to it.
A statement said: "Two fire engines attended and crews extinguished the flames using a hose reel jet. Firefighters then used a high pressured fan to clear the property of smoke.
"One person was given first aid at the scene for smoke inhalation before they were passed into the care of SECAmb and taken to hospital as a precaution."
Following the incident, firefighters are reminding people to follow these simple safety tips when lighting a wood burner or open fire at home:
- Keep wood burners and open fires free from clutter
- Avoid overloading the fire, or building the fire too high
- Make sure the fire is out before going to bed, or leaving the house
- Dispose of ash safely and appropriately
For more advice, please click here - www.kent.fire-uk.org/your-safety/home-safety/a-z-of-safety-what-are-the-risks/chimneys-and-open-fires/
- GUILTY: Violent bully David Brown faces jail for assault and coercive control
- JAILED: Trucker Jeremy Didesse, 44, chatted on phone before M20 multiple pile-up
- M20 ROADWORKS: Delays, closures and diversions next week
- EXCLUSIVE: Archbishop's Palace could be turned into posh boutique hotel
- M20 DELAYS: Crash causes problems this rush hour
- CHARGED: Anthony Bashford, 46, 'stole' bank card to buy cigarettes and alcohol
- DAVID BROWN: My accuser is a 'raging coke head' - attack trial told
- FLY-TIPPING: We must start to police this scourge - campaigner Simon Webb