MEMORIAL SERVICE: Date to celebrate life and work of Wendy Hinder
Friday 16th July 2021
A SPECIAL memorial service to celebrate the life and work of a former borough councillor will be held in the autumn.
Wendy Hinder, who was the Maidstone Borough Council member for Boxley and also served on the parish council, died last year after a short illness.
Now husband Bob Hinder, himself a borough and parish councillor, has set the date for Saturday, October 23, at 11am, at All Saints Church in Maidstone.
Cllr Hinder was left devasted by Wendy's death and had briefly thought of moving away to the West Country to be nearer family but decided instead to stay locally.
He said: "Because of COVID-19, we obviously could not mark Wendy's passing in the way that we would have wanted to. She had so many friends and was so well thought of by so many people.
“Wendy gave so much of her life to helping others and getting things done in her community and I think that people will want to mark that.
"So, now that restrictions appear to be lifting, this is the time to organise a service in Maidstone.”
Wendy (77) was serving a term as Deputy Mayor to Maidstone Mayor Marion Ring when she fell ill at the end of January, initially of a suspected stroke. She later died of a further complication.
The then leader of her Conservative group at MBC, Cllr John Perry, at MBC said at the time: "She was one of our most experienced and influential councillors who did a huge amount in public life.
“She was incredibly hard-working and you’d never be in any doubt how she felt on an issue. She was a real doer.”
- BREAKING: Vehicle hits bridge near Maidstone - all train lines blocked
- WARNING: Temporary traffic lights on main road near Maidstone
- CRASH DELAYS: Busy road blocked following RTC in Maidstone
- JAILED: Text pest Tim Mumford faked his death to harass woman PC - court
- GBBO: Tom from Maidstone first to leave Great British Bake Off show on Channel 4
- CCTV APPEAL: Ramp for disabled visitors stolen from dental practice
- COURT: Katy Sue Lafferty to stand trial for drink driving
- WARNING: Crash blocks busy road in Maidstone