MP HELEN GRANT: Lib Dem council's housing numbers 'unthinkable'
Friday 7th February 2020
MP HELEN Grant says the number of houses being planned by Maidstone Borough Council is “unthinkable”.
Mrs Grant said: “There comes a point … where numbers of new houses are too high and infrastructure, however good, becomes saturated. I believe we are in that zone.
“Current targets for housing in Maidstone are already high and the forthcoming increase, to 28,000, by 2037, is unthinkable.
“Housing targets must be fair, balanced and achievable. At the moment, frankly, they are not.”
The Lib Dem controlled administration agreed to take 17,600 homes in the Local Plan under direction from central government but now faces the prospect of taking 10,500 more when the plan is reviewed. This includes the council's plan for 5,000 houses at Lenham Heath, for which MBC will act as "master developer".
The MP and residents are becoming increasingly concerned the level of house-building is not sustainable while the roads and serves are unable to cope.
DON'T MISS FOUR PAGES OF REPORTS INTO THE HOUSING CRISIS IN THE NEXT ISSUE OF DOWNS MAIL
- CLOSED: Village road to shut
- WARNING: Fallen tree shuts road near Maidstone
- CCTV APPEAL: Man in his 60s targeted in distraction cash theft
- VAN CRASH: Two men arrested following 'motorcycle theft' near Maidstone
- LIB DEM CRISIS: Two more council resignations being considered
- LOCAL BOOST: Elmer Parade's £7m injection into local economy
- COVID-19 LATEST: Children aged 12 to 15 to be offered jab
- WARNING: Heavy rain to hit Maidstone tonight