MP Helen Grant campaigns to lead powerful culture, media and sport committee
Wednesday 19th October 2016
Maidstone MP Helen Grant is taking on another Kent MP to become chairman of the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee.
Mrs Helen Grant faces Folkestone and Hythe MP Damian Collins, who is currently the acting chairman, for the role.
Voting on who will take on the role - seen as one of the most high-profile and influential in British politics - starts at 10am this morning.
Mrs Grant said: "I’ve chaired many high level meetings, committees and negotiations and I also have the benefit of experience from both sides of select committee proceedings. If elected I promise to lead with unity, purpose and vigour."
Mr Collins said: "As the longest serving Conservative member of the Culture Media & Sport Select Committee and someone who as dedicated my parliamentary career to the important work the Committee carries out, I believe that I am well qualified to become its next chair."
- BREAKING: Cars held up after van sends crates of plums crashing onto the A20
- BREAKING: M20 blocked due to RTC in Maidstone
- MOTE PARK ATTACK: Women 'punched, kicked and spat at' in Maidstone
- WARNING: Weavering Street to shut for three days
- BEARSTED ALLOTMENTS: 40 protestors at fiery meeting of parish council
- UPDATE: Fire crews tackle large blaze at the National Grid site - full details
- MAJOR FIRE: 12 crews tackle large blaze at the National Grid site - full details
- CUSTODY: Woman, 31, uses pram to 'steal items from various stores' in Maidstone