MP Helen Whately appointed to Conservative Party vice chair role
Thursday 9th August 2018
MP Helen Whately has been made Conservative Party vice chair for women.
Mrs Whately said she will use the role to persuade more women to get involved in political life.
She added: “Having women around the table changes the conversation. Women’s life experiences aren’t more or less important than men’s – but they are different.
"We need more women to get involved in politics and make their voices heard. This year, as we celebrate 100 years since women got the vote, is a golden opportunity to encourage more women to stand for election.
"I’m grateful for all the opportunities I’ve had in life; more than my mother, and immeasurably more than my grandmother.
"Recent progress includes companies reporting gender pay gaps, mothers and fathers sharing baby leave, and more funding for things that particularly affect women like domestic violence and perinatal mental health.
"But there is much more to do. I want to shine light on things women experience that don’t get talked about, and challenge the invisible barriers we face in our day-to-day lives.”
Asked for the job description for the role, Mrs Whately's office said: "There isn’t really an official job description. It’s primarily engagement, so encouraging more women to join the Conservative Party and stand for election. But she’ll also be using the platform to influence policy and make sure the Government has a good offer for women."
- 21/08/2018 - 27-year-old in court on charge of burglary in Yalding
- 21/08/2018 - Tribute to county council's former deputy leader
- 20/08/2018 - Diary date for walkers looking for an outing in September
- 20/08/2018 - CHARGED: Tovil man in custody after being charged with burglary
- 20/08/2018 - Maidstone company limber up for two-day charity event
- 20/08/2018 - Network Rail: Plan ahead when travelling by train over bank holiday weekend
- 20/08/2018 - Headcorn family contacted after body found in wood
- 20/08/2018 - Crews called to fire at flat in Maidstone at the weekend