MP Helen Whately appointed to Conservative Party vice chair role
Thursday 9th August 2018
MP Helen Whately has been made Conservative Party vice chair for women.
Mrs Whately said she will use the role to persuade more women to get involved in political life.
She added: “Having women around the table changes the conversation. Women’s life experiences aren’t more or less important than men’s – but they are different.
"We need more women to get involved in politics and make their voices heard. This year, as we celebrate 100 years since women got the vote, is a golden opportunity to encourage more women to stand for election.
"I’m grateful for all the opportunities I’ve had in life; more than my mother, and immeasurably more than my grandmother.
"Recent progress includes companies reporting gender pay gaps, mothers and fathers sharing baby leave, and more funding for things that particularly affect women like domestic violence and perinatal mental health.
"But there is much more to do. I want to shine light on things women experience that don’t get talked about, and challenge the invisible barriers we face in our day-to-day lives.”
Asked for the job description for the role, Mrs Whately's office said: "There isn’t really an official job description. It’s primarily engagement, so encouraging more women to join the Conservative Party and stand for election. But she’ll also be using the platform to influence policy and make sure the Government has a good offer for women."
- Landowner reveals 1,000 homes plans as council 'call for sites' deadline passes
- WARNING: Restrictions in place from next week on rural road - details
- Shaina Marston and Damian Parsonage accused of stealing meat and Easter eggs
- CRASH: Collision blocks roundabout near Maidstone - expect long delays
- Busy village road near Maidstone to shut for urgent road works
- Drunken science teacher smashed car into lamp post in Maidstone
- LIFE IN PRISON: Minimum 32 years for house blaze killer Simon Childs
- Tributes to Lib Dem activist and ex-Mayor Brian Mortimer who died this morning