MP joins in meter milestone
Thursday 3rd April 2014
South East Water meter installation crews were joined by Helen Grant, MP for Maidstone and the Weald, to mark the installation of the 100,000th water meter in the customer metering programme.
The company has been fitting meters since summer 2011 to create a fairer way of paying and to manage future water supplies across the South East. A third of the programme has now been completed.
Ms Grant said: “I’m very supportive of this metering programme as water efficiency is really important and can save money on water bills too.”
Charles Healey, metering manager for South East Water, said: “The South East is an area of serious water stress. This can sometimes be a little hard to believe, particularly with the recent rainfall we have experienced, however, installing these water meters now is important and will help us to manage our water resources into the future.
“We aim to complete the programme by 2019 by which point at least 90% of our customers will have a water meter.”
Pictured from left is meter installer Mark Britnall, Paul Butler, South East Water's MD, Helen Grant MP and Charles Healey, Metering Manager for South East Water.
- CHARGED: Suspected Maidstone shoplifter Liam Chapman, 33, to appear in court
- BURGLARY: Limited edition cartoon figurine stolen near Maidstone - can you help?
- LATEST: Police launch investigation following 'child-snatching' incident
- PANTO REVIEW: Mother Goose at the Marlowe Theatre
- M20 ROADWORKS: more disruption in the next seven days
- ELECTION: Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn in Maidstone today - details
- 'CHILD SNATCH': Police say no reports of alleged abduction in Maidstone
- BLAZE: Person injured in tumble dryer fire in Maidstone