MP under fire for 'outrageous contempt' rent claims
Thursday 15th April 2021
FAVERSHAM & Mid Kent MP Helen Whately is keeping silent about rent expenses she claims of more than £3,000 per month.
Mrs Whately, the social care minister, was accused of “outrageous contempt” for constituents for refusing to answer questions on the matter.
The story broke in the Observer at the weekend.
The newspaper says the MP about claims £3,250-a-month for her London home, the highest of any Kent MP, despite her £113,000 minister's salary.
Her office declined to comment.
County councillor Antony Hook (Lib Dem) said: "A refusal to comment shows an outrageous contempt for the public and for the press."
- COURT: Council takes first step towards clearing up Embankments restaurant
- 999: Paramedic recognised for more than 37 years' service
- LATEST: Business 'booming' for local restaurants
- LATEST: Plan to open all Kent libraries
- KINGS HILL: New leaders shake up troubled parish council
- MP HELEN WHATELY: Call to extend power to stop illegal lorry parking
- CAPTAIN PETER TOWNSEND: Royal lover's medals sold
- WARNING: Alarming reports of toxic hogweed in Maidstone