Maidstone Mr Potato Head breaks world record at London Marathon
Wednesday 26th April 2017
Maidstone’s Mr Potato Head is celebrating this week after setting a new world record.
Philip Powell, 33, of Vinters Park, ran for Action on Hearing Loss dressed as the character from hit movie Toy Story.
He got round the 26.2 mile course on Sunday in 3hours, 24 minutes and 19 seconds.
He told the Downs Mail: "It went pretty well, the atmosphere and the crowd at London really help you along.
"Like an idiot I didn't charge my GPS watch so I didn't have technology on my side helping me pace myself. This meant I went off too quickly and found the second half really tough.
"The costume made it harder than I thought it would too, the potato itself was ok but the hat, gloves and boots were horrible, in fact the boots made my feet so hot I have horrific blisters.
"That said, I broke the world record by over 14 min!"
Organisers Virgin London Marathon declared on its website: “Philip Powell, Fastest marathon dressed as a Mr. Potato Head – 3:24:19.”
And on social media, Mr Powell, who runs Hair Professional in King Street with his wife and has a mobile DJ business - Kent Wedding and Party Discos – posted a photo of him celebrating after the gruelling run.
He wrote: “Here we are a few days after the event and whilst my aching muscles are starting to heal my feet are still very blistered but you know what, I GOT THE WORLD RECORD!
“I am now the world record holder for the fastest marathon as mr potato head! Thank you all so so
much for donating.”
He has raised £4,439.39 – just short of his £5,000 target.
His JustGiving page is here https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/the-big-3
- BREAKING: Cars held up after van sends crates of plums crashing onto the A20
- BREAKING: M20 blocked due to RTC in Maidstone
- MOTE PARK ATTACK: Women 'punched, kicked and spat at' in Maidstone
- WARNING: Weavering Street to shut for three days
- BEARSTED ALLOTMENTS: 40 protestors at fiery meeting of parish council
- UPDATE: Fire crews tackle large blaze at the National Grid site - full details
- MAJOR FIRE: 12 crews tackle large blaze at the National Grid site - full details
- CUSTODY: Woman, 31, uses pram to 'steal items from various stores' in Maidstone