Maidstone boxer Chris Matthews warms up for title match in town
Monday 15th April 2019
MAIDSTONE’S Chris Matthews will take on Jack Budge in a title match at Mote Park.
The stablemates clash for the vacant Southern Area featherweight title in the town on Saturday, April 27 – the first time two boxers from the county have contested the title in Kent.
Unbeaten Jack Budge, from Hoo, is working up a sweat in training and confident about the forthcoming fight and told Daily Downs Mail: “I’ve relocated up north and training with Kerry Evans now. We’re working hard and training for 10 rounds.
“I had a nasty cut in my last fight, so we’re not risking opening that back up, so been doing lots of pad work, bag work and high-intensity training and leaving sparring to later on. I’m working hard!”
Chris Matthews, 24, signed to JE Promotions in 2015.
The Medway vs Maidstone rivalry is already on, with Budge selling his ticket allocation and having to request more.
Jack said: “I like him as a person and respect him, but he’ll be coming to win and I’ll be coming to win, so it’ll make for a good fight.”
Also on the bill is Maidstone’s ‘Main Man’ Lenny Fuller; super-featherweight prospect Jack Raines; welterweight Danny Barrett; Paul Brown, a 28-year-old light-heavyweight trained by Mario Michael in Margate; three-time Southern Area title contender Martin Hillman; and debutants Jimmy Peckham, Dave Matthews and Jordan Smith.
Tickets from JE Promotions Facebook page or by calling 07883 943 994
- OPEN FOR BUSINESS IN YOUR AREA
- LATEST: New date set for World Custard Pie Championships
- EXCLUSIVE: Council's secret plans for £15m taxpayer-funded new HQ
- LATEST: Water use rockets in Kent
- URGENT APPEAL: Buttercups 'must close in six weeks' due to lack of funds
- MP HELEN WHATELY: Lockdown restrictions eased
- PICTURES: Disposable barbecue sparks skip blaze in Aylesford
- WARNING: 21 day closure near Maidstone - full details