Maidstone couple feet from HM the Queen at Royal Garden Party
Wednesday 16th May 2018
REBECCA and James Martin were feet away from Her Majesty the Queen when they attended the Royal Garden Party at Buckingham Palace yesterday.
The pair, who were invited for their work for the Scouting movement in Maidstone and at county level over more than 40 years, also met other members of the Royal family. But, they say the event was very much about local heroes.
Beccy said: “We had the most wonderful day. What struck us most, was that it wasn’t about celebrity. In fact, we didn’t see any. It was about ordinary people, some of whom have done extraordinary things for their communities and the conversations we had affirmed that view.
“The sun shone, the Queen was resplendent in peppermint green, and we got within five feet of her. Prince Andrew, and the Earl and Countess of Wessex were also there.”
‘Jim’ is chairman of St Luke’s Scouts, Maidstone, where he was first invested as a Cub over 50 years ago and Rebecca is County Active Support Manager.
- M20 UPDATE: Major delays as congestion builds on blocked motorway
- CRASH: Lenham collision - expect additional delays in area
- Collision on sharp bend near Maidstone
- M20 BLOCKED: Traffic at standstill after man falls from bridge
- WARNING: Temporary traffic lights near Maidstone
- Kent Police issue warning after series of day time van thefts near Maidstone
- SCHOOLS PLAN: Thurnham Parish Council rejects M20 J7 scheme as 'ludicrous'
- CLOSED: Two day road closure near Maidstone