Maidstone couple feet from HM the Queen at Royal Garden Party
Wednesday 16th May 2018
REBECCA and James Martin were feet away from Her Majesty the Queen when they attended the Royal Garden Party at Buckingham Palace yesterday.
The pair, who were invited for their work for the Scouting movement in Maidstone and at county level over more than 40 years, also met other members of the Royal family. But, they say the event was very much about local heroes.
Beccy said: “We had the most wonderful day. What struck us most, was that it wasn’t about celebrity. In fact, we didn’t see any. It was about ordinary people, some of whom have done extraordinary things for their communities and the conversations we had affirmed that view.
“The sun shone, the Queen was resplendent in peppermint green, and we got within five feet of her. Prince Andrew, and the Earl and Countess of Wessex were also there.”
‘Jim’ is chairman of St Luke’s Scouts, Maidstone, where he was first invested as a Cub over 50 years ago and Rebecca is County Active Support Manager.
- M20 ROADWORKS: Details of closures and disruption in coming days
- Headcorn to get a new nursery at primary school
- Leeds Castle launches 900th anniversary celebrations for 201C
- UPDATE: Kent Highways release update on Barming sinkhole road re-opening
- Government confirms its pledge to bring Thameslink rail service to Maidstone
- Take Me Out are giving away free tickets for eleventh series in Maidstone
- TRAFFIC UPDATE: Village reopens after water leak closure
- Stranded couple allowed back home after newborn tragedy