Maidstone prison officers go on strike
Friday 14th September 2018
PRISON officers in Maidstone have been ordered to strike outside their jail by their union after the rise of violence towards staff.
This strike comes a day after the emergency action taken at Bedford Prison after chief inspector of prisons, Peter Clarke, found high levels of violence and inexperienced staff struggling to maintain control.
The Prison Officers Association (POA) called for a strike across the country to begin after 7am due to the rise in violence towards staff in their prisons and the governments “failure to provide safe prisons”.
General Secretary Steve Gillan said, “The POA has engaged with the Employer and Ministers in an attempt to resolve issues, but they are paying lip service to the Health & Safety of my members their Human Rights, that of other workers in prisons and of course the prisoners in our care.
“Earlier this year the POA commenced legal proceedings due to the Government’s failure to provide safe prisons.
“Bedford with other prisons was placed into Special Measures and commitments made to this union from Government and HMPPS.
“These commitments were not met and we have issued a further Pre-Action Protocol Letter as part of the Judicial Review process because of their failings to provide safe prisons.
“We will now be demanding that the Government provide safe prisons, meet our demands to improve Personal Protective Equipment, reduce levels of violence and overcrowding as set out by Lord Justice Woolf in his report into the riots of 1990.”
- ASSAULT: Woman kicked in face by man in Week St, Maidstone - did you see it?
- EVENT: The Multicultural Society to put on charity fashion show in Maidstone
- CHARITY: League donates £50k to Maidstone Hospital
- WARNING: Stay out of lakes after 'deadly bird bug' outbreak in Maidstone
- M20 UPDATE: Lanes remain blocked following vehicle blaze
- 5 YEARS: Dangerous driver jailed after killing 22-year-old man near Maidstone
- COURT: Serial shoplifter Matthew Gillett stole hoover to buy heroin in Maidstone
- ALERT: M20 closed as fire crews fight vehicle blaze