Maidstone rider has surgery after Isle of Man TT crash
Friday 1st June 2018
A MAIDSTONE bike racer is in a critical but stable condition in hospital after being involved in a crash at the Isle of Man TT.
Steve Mercer, who is 36, was hurt in a collision with the safety car on Wednesday night.
He was on his way back to the grandstand when he was involved in the collision, and was airlifted to hospital in Liverpool for treatment.
His wife Caroline has given an update on Facebook.
She wrote: "Steve had surgery early Thursday morning for pelvic and leg injuries which went as well as the doctors could have hoped at this stage.
"Other injuries include a broken ankle, heel, T12 vertebrae, a fracture to his larynx and damage to his neck which means he’s not currently able to breathe for himself without support.
"They’re keeping him heavily sedated most of the time to make him more comfortable whilst he recovers from his injuries."
Mrs Mercer has been overwhelmed by the support for her family after the crash, which happened on the same night that Dan Kneen died in qualifying for the event.
"Thank you so much to everyone who has helped us to get over to him so quickly and for the hundreds of messages of support we have received," she added.
"I have been reading some of your messages out to him to let him know everyone is rooting for him to get better."
- BREAKING: Vehicle hits bridge near Maidstone - all train lines blocked
- WARNING: Temporary traffic lights on main road near Maidstone
- CRASH DELAYS: Busy road blocked following RTC in Maidstone
- JAILED: Text pest Tim Mumford faked his death to harass woman PC - court
- GBBO: Tom from Maidstone first to leave Great British Bake Off show on Channel 4
- CCTV APPEAL: Ramp for disabled visitors stolen from dental practice
- COURT: Katy Sue Lafferty to stand trial for drink driving
- WARNING: Crash blocks busy road in Maidstone