Mote Park parking fees imminent
Tuesday 26th January 2016
NEW parking charges come in to force at Mote Park on February 1.
Maidstone Council says the charges will help safeguard the future of the park in light of significant government funding cuts.
Payment machines were being installed this week.
Cllr Gordon Newton, chairman of Maidstone Council’s Heritage, Culture and Leisure Committee, says the introduction of charges was agreed “reluctantly” by councillors”. He said: “This not a decision we took lightly. Unfortunately, local government looks set to suffer more budget cuts in the coming years, and we need to make tough decisions to protect services for the most vulnerable as well as keeping the borough a nice place to live.”
Parking charges start from 10am each day, allowing free parking for morning dog walkers and joggers. The cost will be £1 for up to 6 hours, increasing to £12 for more than six hours, to deter commuters.
The park gates will open an hour earlier, at 8am.
Residents will be able to buy an annual parking pass for £40. Details of where to buy passes will be available shortly on the council’s website at www.maidstone.gov.uk/motepark.
- OUT NOW! Pick up the latest edition or read online
- HEATWAVE: Temperatures to hit 34C this afternoon in Maidstone
- LATEST: 495 active Covid-19 cases in Maidstone
- OVERNIGHT: Blue Bell Hill to shut - details
- UPDATE: Bearsted road closure rescheduled - details
- LATEST: Speed limit plan backed near Maidstone
- LEEDS CASTLE: Attraction faces huge losses and job cuts
- CCTV APPEAL: Purse stolen from car in Maidstone - can you help?