Mote Park parking fees imminent
Tuesday 26th January 2016
NEW parking charges come in to force at Mote Park on February 1.
Maidstone Council says the charges will help safeguard the future of the park in light of significant government funding cuts.
Payment machines were being installed this week.
Cllr Gordon Newton, chairman of Maidstone Council’s Heritage, Culture and Leisure Committee, says the introduction of charges was agreed “reluctantly” by councillors”. He said: “This not a decision we took lightly. Unfortunately, local government looks set to suffer more budget cuts in the coming years, and we need to make tough decisions to protect services for the most vulnerable as well as keeping the borough a nice place to live.”
Parking charges start from 10am each day, allowing free parking for morning dog walkers and joggers. The cost will be £1 for up to 6 hours, increasing to £12 for more than six hours, to deter commuters.
The park gates will open an hour earlier, at 8am.
Residents will be able to buy an annual parking pass for £40. Details of where to buy passes will be available shortly on the council’s website at www.maidstone.gov.uk/motepark.
- M20 DELAYS: Incident causing issues this morning - details
- LENHAM HEATH: Now the Labour group leader pulls out of Friday's public meeting
- TONIGHT: M20 to shut overnight near Maidstone
- M20 CHAOS: Broken down lorry sparks MORE disruption near Maidstone
- M20 TRAFFIC: Collision blocks lane near Maidstone
- BEARSTED: HGV mounts pavement near The Green
- TRAFFIC WARNING: Road shuts for SEVEN days to clear flytipping near Maidstone
- Special birthday for Kent Life rural attraction