PICTURES: Disposable barbecue sparks skip blaze in Aylesford
Friday 29th May 2020
FIREFIGHTERS tackled a skip fire believed to be caused by a disposable barbecue in Aylesford last night.
Three fire engines and a height vehicle attended the scene off Hall Road just after 8pm on May 28.
Crews wearing breathing apparatus used hosereel jets to extinguish the blaze, before checking the surrounding area for any fire spread. No casualties were reported.
A Kent Fire and Rescue spokesman said: "It's believed the fire was caused accidentally by a disposable barbecue that was placed in the skip.
"Following the incident, people are reminded to always make sure a barbecue is cool before trying to move it, to empty spent ashes onto bare garden soil and never to put hot ashes straight into a bin or container."
- OUT NOW! Pick up the latest edition or read online
- DETAILS: Resurfacing works on B2012 Lower Boxley Road
- LATEST: Prezzo to reopen in Maidstone
- PLANNED: 18-month road closure in Aylesford
- URGENT: Gas leak repairs near Maidstone
- GALLERY: Maidstone pupils adjust to 'new normal'
- INQUEST: Police took 49 minutes to respond to dad's 999 call
- M20 DISRUPTION: After Op Stack - even more trouble on the motorway