PLANS: Maidstone deserves a superb new leisure centre - details
Friday 14th January 2022
MAIDSTONE deserves a superb new leisure centre close to the existing centre in Mote Park attracting so many visitors it can return a profit for local taxpayers, writes Dennis Fowle.
These were key themes running through a debate at a meeting of Maidstone Borough Council’s Economic, Regeneration and Leisure Committee considering an officer’s initial report on the future of the leisure centre.
The report looked at regenerating the existing centre or: a new build on (i) the existing site; (ii) the current car park, (iii) land north of the current site taking in boundary land next to the main Maidstone rugby pitch; (iv) the rugby pitch itself.
Lib Dem Cllr David Naghi pressed for a fifth option – unused, treeless land behind and to the east of the existing centre and bowls club with space for a bigger ‘state of the art’ centre.
The existing centre could remain open during works, avoiding huge operational problems including loss of swimming pools.
- A249 SMASH: Woman airlifted to hospital after crash - full details
- M20 SHUTS: Drivers face disruption - traffic spilling into A20
- RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch is back - see how you can take part
- HEALTH REPORT: 'Inadequate' Albion Place Medical Centre in special measures
- Graffiti artists find their work blitzed by high-pressure sprayers in clean-up
- STOLEN: £3,000 electric bicycle pinched outside Maidstone bank
- M20 COLLISION: Dog survives M-way hit with vehicle - details
- M20 DEATH: Man found dead near motorway, say police