POLITICS: Ann Widdecombe to stand in Euro polls for Brexit Party
Wednesday 24th April 2019
FORMER Maidstone and the Weald MP Ann Widdecombe has left the Tories and joined the Brexit Party to stand in the European election later this month.
Miss Widdecombe (71) who served as a Tory MP for 13 years, said she hoped the new party led by Nigel Farage would "sweep to victory" and send a "clear message" to her old party and Labour.
Mr Farage told Downs Mail that she will stand in the south west of England where she now lives.
Writing in her Daily Express column, she said: "I am standing for the Brexit Party in order that I may campaign vigorously and convince my fellow voters that this time it is imperative to fire a very loud warning shot across the bows of the parties they would normally support.
"What the Remain campaign failed to achieve by fear must not be achieved by fatigue."
A new batch of MEPs are on track to be elected after Theresa May twice asked for Brexit to be delayed because she could not get a deal through the UK parliament.
Miss Widdecombe said she hoped Labour would lose in its heartlands and the Conservatives in the shires to send a message that "we want you to just get on with it".
She added: “I will be voting Conservative in the local elections and I remain a member of the party but when central office reads this I expect they will kick me out."
Mr Farage said: “Ann is now retired and living in the south west, so it makes sense for her to stand in that area.”
Mr Farage said that former Conservative Maidstone MP Sir John Wells had joined UKIP and now Miss Widdecombe has joined the Brexit Party.
He added: “I guess you could say there is something about Maidstone!”
Miss Widdecombe has enjoyed an even higher profile away from the frontline of politics where she was well-known for her forthright opinions and straightforward speaking manner.
The former parliamentarian has taken part in Celebrity Big Brother and Strictly Come Dancing.
- Landowner reveals 1,000 homes plans as council 'call for sites' deadline passes
- WARNING: Restrictions in place from next week on rural road - details
- Shaina Marston and Damian Parsonage accused of stealing meat and Easter eggs
- CRASH: Collision blocks roundabout near Maidstone - expect long delays
- Busy village road near Maidstone to shut for urgent road works
- Drunken science teacher smashed car into lamp post in Maidstone
- LIFE IN PRISON: Minimum 32 years for house blaze killer Simon Childs
- Tributes to Lib Dem activist and ex-Mayor Brian Mortimer who died this morning