PRISON REPORT: 'Self-inflicted death' at Maidstone jail
Thursday 30th July 2020
PRISON inspectors found inmates at Maidstone jail not coping well with the restrictions imposed by the coronavirus pandemic.
A report published earlier this month into three scrutiny visits to category C facilities found frustrations over how lockdown designed to prevent the spread of the virus affected criminals.
Inspectors went to Maidstone and two other prisons - in Rugby and Wolverhampton - to assess conditions almost three months into Covid-19.
Their report also highlighted a “self-inflicted death” since restrictions were brought in.
PAGE 24: To read online the full story, click here
- OUT NOW! Pick up the latest edition or read online
- LATEST: Plan for 80 flats on former Somerfield Hospital site
- SPORTS: The Mote features in cricket grounds book
- LATEST: Kent Covid-19 deaths reach 1,650
- NEW M&S: Eclipse Park store opens tomorrow - details
- BREAKING: Police attend broken down vehicle on main road near Maidstone
- CLOSED: Delays and disruption as burst water main shuts road near Maidstone
- DELAYS: New roundabout works near Maidstone