PURSE THEFT: Woman in her 50s targeted at Maidstone Market
Wednesday 28th July 2021
A WOMAN in her 50s had her purse stolen whilst she was distracted at Lockmeadow Market.
The incident happened between 11:30am and 11:45am on Saturday, July 24 in Barker Road.
Inspector Steve Kent said the victim was asked by a woman to pass her an item she was unable to reach. Shortly after she realised her purse was missing.
He said: “While these offences are not common in this town, and our local officers are always alert for suspicious activity, I would remind shoppers to be careful when out and about to avoid becoming victim to opportunist thieves.
“My advice is to never leave handbags unattended on top of prams, shopping trolleys, wheelchairs or mobility scooters. Always keep them zipped up and where you can see them.
“Do not carry large amounts of cash and, if you have one, a purse chain can be an effective measure against thieves.”
Anyone with information that may assist the investigation is urged to call Kent Police on 01622 604100, quoting crime reference 46/131948/21.
You can also contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111, or by completing the online form on their website.
- BREAKING: Vehicle hits bridge near Maidstone - all train lines blocked
- WARNING: Temporary traffic lights on main road near Maidstone
- CRASH DELAYS: Busy road blocked following RTC in Maidstone
- JAILED: Text pest Tim Mumford faked his death to harass woman PC - court
- GBBO: Tom from Maidstone first to leave Great British Bake Off show on Channel 4
- CCTV APPEAL: Ramp for disabled visitors stolen from dental practice
- COURT: Katy Sue Lafferty to stand trial for drink driving
- WARNING: Crash blocks busy road in Maidstone