Police issue on-line scam alert as Maidstone man duped of thousands
Friday 20th July 2018
CYBER Crimes detectives are warning people to be aware of a scam being carried out online by fraudsters after reports of a Maidstone man being duped out of nearly £5,000.
Police say more than £128,000 has so far been scammed from 45 people in Kent.
The man in Maidstone gave remote access to a caller who claimed to be from his broadband provider. The caller told him that his account had been hacked and that he had to carry out actions on his laptop to protect him. He allowed them access and lost £4,850.
Detective Inspector Annie Clayton, from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: “Remote access software, unfortunately, gives fraudsters a wealth of new opportunities by which they can trick people, and their targets are usually those who are elderly, vulnerable or both.
“A current trend is for victims to be sent an automated message stating that their router has been compromised. Please do not respond to this message but instead contact your broadband provider directly for advice.
“These fraudsters are trying to make people unwittingly grant them access to their computer, often stating they have been hacked, their computer has a virus or their internet is not performing as well as it should. Do not allow a caller to have remote access to your computer. Also be aware that should an internet provider call you, they will have no need whatsoever to access your bank details. Protect yourself and never give out this information.”
- Landowner reveals 1,000 homes plans as council 'call for sites' deadline passes
- WARNING: Restrictions in place from next week on rural road - details
- Shaina Marston and Damian Parsonage accused of stealing meat and Easter eggs
- CRASH: Collision blocks roundabout near Maidstone - expect long delays
- Busy village road near Maidstone to shut for urgent road works
- Drunken science teacher smashed car into lamp post in Maidstone
- LIFE IN PRISON: Minimum 32 years for house blaze killer Simon Childs
- Tributes to Lib Dem activist and ex-Mayor Brian Mortimer who died this morning