Pub staff appeal for their postbox back
Monday 2nd December 2019
FESTIVE thieves or pranksters? Either way, whoever took Santa’s postbox from a pub in Maidstone is stopping children’s wishes coming true.
The four foot imitation postbox had been at the White Horse in Bearsted just two weeks, collecting letters from young diners. But on Saturday night, after a crowd of children had popped their cards into the postbox after brunch with the ‘big man’, the red metal box “went walkies”.
Deputy manager Michael Campbell said: “I can’t believe anyone would do this, let alone be able to get it out of the pub on a busy Saturday night, and without being seen. I had to put the seats down in my car just to get it back after buying it in Maidstone.”
The postbox, which cost more than £100, had been a highlight for youngsters visiting the pub in Bearsted, and was the idea of new management, which took over just two months ago.
Michael (25) said: “We hand out pens and draft letters for youngsters to fill in after they’ve finished eating. They post their wishes in the box and our team responds to each and every one of them. We are really upset for those who posted their letters on Saturday who will now not get an answer.”
The father-of-one (pictured right) added: “This may well have been a prank on a fun night out, and, of course, we would see the funny side in this case, but the joke shouldn’t be at the expense of the kids. We just want our postbox back.”
Anyone with information is asked to speak with a member of staff who will arrange to collect it.
In the meantime, youngsters will still be able to write to Santa, but will have to post it in a basket instead of the much-loved red postbox.
- EXCLUSIVE: Golding Homes rapped for failings in electrical fire safety
- CLOSED: Road shuts for emergency repair works near Maidstone
- LATEST: Man found dead in Snodland
- FINED: Maidstone Springers owner prosecuted for running kennel without licence
- WARNING: Temporary traffic signals on busy road in Maidstone - expect delays
- UPDATE: Overturned van and trailer on M20 near Maidstone
- BREAKING: Vehicle overturns on M20 near Maidstone
- PROMOTED: MP Helen Whately lands new role in government