Respected councillor Gordon Newton in hospital after heart attack
Friday 29th November 2019
RESPECTED borough councillor Gordon Newton is recovering in hospital from a major heart attack.
The Independent Maidstone member Cllr Newton, who is in his 70s and a stonemason by trade, was taken ill two weeks ago after complaining of pains in his shoulder.
After attending a local hospital, he was transferred to a specialist hospital in London for triple by-pass surgery where he is now recovering.
The councillor for Downswood and Otham told Daily Downs Mail: "I was taken ill two weeks ago with a serious heart attack that has led me to being transferred to a London Hospital for a triple heart by-pass.
"Staff at the Maidstone Hospital Coronary Care Unit have been absolutely fantastic in their handling of my case and I cannot praise them enough."
Fellow Independent Maidstone councillor, Eddie Powell said: "Let's hope Gordon is back in the thick of it very soon. We all wish him well."
- BLAZE: Person injured in tumble dryer fire in Maidstone
- VOTE NOW: Should Lib Dem council suspend house-building programme?
- SURVEY: Find out how your MP rates in a new study
- LATEST: Busy road to shut for 10 nights in Maidstone
- CHARGED: Two men remain in custody over multiple car key burglaries in Maidstone
- M20: Police stop traffic to conduct migrant search in Maidstone
- BREAKING: Maidstone Crown Court evacuated after fire
- WARNING: Service road to shut in Maidstone