Respected councillor Gordon Newton in hospital after heart attack
Friday 29th November 2019
RESPECTED borough councillor Gordon Newton is recovering in hospital from a major heart attack.
The Independent Maidstone member Cllr Newton, who is in his 70s and a stonemason by trade, was taken ill two weeks ago after complaining of pains in his shoulder.
After attending a local hospital, he was transferred to a specialist hospital in London for triple by-pass surgery where he is now recovering.
The councillor for Downswood and Otham told Daily Downs Mail: "I was taken ill two weeks ago with a serious heart attack that has led me to being transferred to a London Hospital for a triple heart by-pass.
"Staff at the Maidstone Hospital Coronary Care Unit have been absolutely fantastic in their handling of my case and I cannot praise them enough."
Fellow Independent Maidstone councillor, Eddie Powell said: "Let's hope Gordon is back in the thick of it very soon. We all wish him well."
- BREAKING: Broken down car transporter blocks main road in Maidstone
- GAS LEAK: Long delays on main road for repair works in Maidstone
- BREAKING: Broken down lorry blocks motorway in Maidstone
- BREAKING: Child injured in house blaze near Maidstone
- BREAKING: HGV driver wrecked property and drove off - police called but no show
- GUILTY: Violent bully David Brown faces jail for assault and coercive control
- JAILED: Trucker Jeremy Didesse, 44, chatted on phone before M20 multiple pile-up
- M20 ROADWORKS: Delays, closures and diversions next week