SAVE THE HAZLITT: Listen live to tonight's attempt to reverse closure decision
Wednesday 25th November 2020
RESIDENTS anxious about the closure of the Hazlitt Theatre by Maidstone Borough Council can listen in to a committee debate as elected members try overturn the decision this evening.
Some Conservative opposition members of the policy and resources panel are pushing for a deferment until the new year so that other options can be properly explored.
LISTEN LIVE (FROM 6.30PM)
MP Helen Grant has warned the decision should not be rushed and offered MBC leader Cllr Martin Cox help in finding other solutions.
MBC claims it needs to shut the Hazlitt and sack the operator, Parkwood Theatres, in order to save money after revenues were decimated this year by COVID-19.
But the news of the closure sparked a massive public backlash with a 7,000 name petition, 5,000 joining the Downs Mail's SAVE THE HAZLITT Facebook page and a poll showing voting trends are being influenced ahead of next May's elections.
- COURT: Council takes first step towards clearing up Embankments restaurant
- 999: Paramedic recognised for more than 37 years' service
- LATEST: Business 'booming' for local restaurants
- LATEST: Plan to open all Kent libraries
- KINGS HILL: New leaders shake up troubled parish council
- MP HELEN WHATELY: Call to extend power to stop illegal lorry parking
- CAPTAIN PETER TOWNSEND: Royal lover's medals sold
- WARNING: Alarming reports of toxic hogweed in Maidstone