SCHOOLS PLAN: Thurnham Parish Council rejects M20 J7 scheme as 'ludicrous'
Tuesday 22nd January 2019
THURNHAM Parish Council has joined the chorus of objections to two new schools planned near junction seven of the M20 at the Kent Medical Campus.
The Department for Education has identified Pope’s Field on the busy and often gridlocked Bearsted Road as its only preferred site.
A planning application was submitted before Christmas after public consultation with access via Bearsted Road still in place, despite a huge outpouring of public concern about child safety and traffic volumes.
Last night, Thurnham members agreed to publicly back the stance of colleagues at Boxley - the parish in which the application falls - who are also fiercely opposed to the scheme in its present form.
Thurnham is also concerned about the proposed relocation of Pope’s Field as a designated nature reserve to another area.
Cllr John Horne highlighted that the footpaths are unsuitable for children and parents to use as they “hop from one side to another with dark recesses”.
He added: “It’s a total nightmare - an absolutely ludicrous to think that to think that you can have any kind of access at that section of the Bearsted Road.”
The primary and special needs schools will eventually have 540 pupils and is to be run by the Leigh Academies’ Trust chain.
Thurnham members voiced concerns the number of drop off points will be insufficient for the hundreds of cars wishing to get onto the site twice a day.
READ THE FULL STORY IN DOWNS MAIL EAST EDITION
- COURT: Teen dodges jail after 'sniffing a white powder' at a Maidstone nightclub
- HEADCORN STABBING: Latest developments and pictures from the scene
- COURT: Sales consultant crashed company car into tree more than double the limit
- STABBING: Car wash owner knifed in head in 'wild west' village near Maidstone
- BANK HOLIDAY: Contractor announces closures, delays and disruption on M20
- MUSIC ON THE GREEN: Getting ready for the big day this weekend in Bearsted
- JAILED: Shameful past of Juliet Waghorn who stabbed her husband near Maidstone
- Abusive Juliette Waghorn jailed for knife attack on husband at Leeds home