Sexual predator Nathan Gifford attacked Maidstone woman after offering her help
Friday 10th August 2018
A 'GOOD Samaritan' who offered to help a distressed woman used it as an opportunity to sexually attack her, a court heard.
Nathan Gifford (50) was sent to prison for 10 years in prison at Maidstone Crown Court.
The jury heard how Gifford met his victim on a street during the evening of October 18 2017 and discovered she had locked herself out of an address nearby.
He offered to help and gained access to the property through an insecure rear bedroom window. After helping her climb inside, he then immediately assaulted the victim in the kitchen, before fleeing the scene.
Kent Police was called and a forensic examination of the address led to the detection of Gifford’s DNA. He was arrested on 24 December, when officers also seized shoes with tread patterns which matched marks left inside the victim’s home.
Gifford, of Wrangleden Road, Maidstone was charged with rape.
He denied the offence and the case went to trial at Maidstone Crown Court. A jury found him not guilty of rape but convicted him of an alternative charge of sexual assault by penetration.
On Friday, August 10, 2018, Gifford was sentenced to 10 years in prison, with an extended licence of five years. He will have to serve at least two thirds of his custodial sentence before he is eligible for parole.
Investigating officer, Detective Constable Jennie Locke said: ‘Gifford is a predatory sex offender who saw an opportunity to violate a vulnerable woman who was seeking help.
"His actions were absolutely despicable and it is right that he is now behind bars for a long time. I would like to commend the victim’s bravery in coming forward and assisting our investigation to bring this offender to justice and ensure he no longer poses a threat to other women."
- 21/08/2018 - 27-year-old in court on charge of burglary in Yalding
- 21/08/2018 - Tribute to county council's former deputy leader
- 20/08/2018 - Diary date for walkers looking for an outing in September
- 20/08/2018 - CHARGED: Tovil man in custody after being charged with burglary
- 20/08/2018 - Maidstone company limber up for two-day charity event
- 20/08/2018 - Network Rail: Plan ahead when travelling by train over bank holiday weekend
- 20/08/2018 - Headcorn family contacted after body found in wood
- 20/08/2018 - Crews called to fire at flat in Maidstone at the weekend