Soccer stars seek golfing glory
Friday 2nd October 2015
THE golf course at the Tudor Park Marriott in Bearsted has been graced by a team of ex-professional footballers and a competitive bunch wearing trilby hats.
The 18-hole championship golf course welcomed 21 former football legends (pictured), including Sir Trevor Brooking, who teamed up with local golfers for the Mancini Trophy tournament.
During the day, European Tour golf pro and Bearsted resident Matt Ford challenged players to "Beat the Pro" at hole 4, which was won by former Aston Villa player Lee Hendrie. But it was a ladies-only team of Tudor Park members, playing with celebrity footballer Paul Jones (Southampton, Liverpool,Wales and FA Cup winner) who took the glory and the Marriott Mancini Trophy.
Two days later, 140 players – all waring Trilby hats - turned out in glorious sunshine in front of a crowd of spectators and TV cameras for the nail-biting Kent regional final of the Trilby Tour.
The Trilby Tour is the UK’s biggest and fiercest amateur golf championship, and the Kent regional final didn’t disappoint. There were several dramatic moments in which spectators held their breathe while players battled it out on the 18th hole as the competition went to a sudden death.
For most of the day, 37 points was leading until Scott Woolford, Tudor Park member, carded a fantastic score of 39 points in the fifth to last group to take the outright lead and a place in the four man, three hole playoff.
After three holes, two players were tied on level par so it was back down the 18th again where more drama ensued.
Golf director James Ibbetson said: “It has been an amazing week. We have witnessed some great golf and meeting footballing legends has been one of the highlights for staff and guests here at Tudor Park.”
The Trilby Tour at the Tudor Park will be shown on Sky Sports in the autumn.
- M20 CRASH: Lane blocked following collision in Maidstone
- CRASH: Collision on main road sparks delays in Maidstone
- DELAYS: Temporary traffic lights on busy road in Maidstone
- Brothers to represent GB in European skating championships
- POLL: Does the borough council keep the roads clean and free of flytipping?
- DELAYS: Temporary traffic lights on main road for over 3 weeks near Maidstone
- WARNING: Major travel delays due to 'signalling problem' in Maidstone
- TRAFFIC: Lane closures in Maidstone town centre - expect more delays