TRAFFIC CHAOS: A20 'horrendous' after Op Stack implementation - details
Wednesday 16th September 2020
MOTORISTS around the Maidstone area are suffering major delays this evening as a knock-on from the counter-terrorism operation at the Channel ports.
Operation Stack has been in place for most of the day and traffic is spilling onto the A20 causing severe tailbacks.
There is also congestion and high levels of traffic in villages such as Harrietsham, Leeds, Broomfield and Bearsted.
Police have shut the M20 at junction 8 with all non-freight movements diverted to the A20.
One motorist said: "It is horrendous this evening. We've been crawling along here now for ages, getting nowhere fast. My advice would be to stay away form the A20 if you can - this won't be getting any better any time soon."
Officials say that the coastbound carriageway of the M20 is closed and traffic is queueing due to Operation Stack from unction 8 (A20 Ashford Road for Leeds Castle) all the way to Ashford. There is alsocongestion to junction 7 (A249 Detling Hill).
- OUT NOW! Pick up the latest edition or read online
- DETAILS: Resurfacing works on B2012 Lower Boxley Road
- LATEST: Prezzo to reopen in Maidstone
- PLANNED: 18-month road closure in Aylesford
- URGENT: Gas leak repairs near Maidstone
- GALLERY: Maidstone pupils adjust to 'new normal'
- INQUEST: Police took 49 minutes to respond to dad's 999 call
- M20 DISRUPTION: After Op Stack - even more trouble on the motorway