TRAFFIC UPDATE: Shut village causing problems for drivers in country lanes
Tuesday 6th April 2021
THE closure of a busy cut-through road in a village near Maidstone today is causing headaches for motorists.
Starting today, there are six days of closures on the B2163 in Leeds for South East Water (SEW) to carry out exploratory work ahead of major pipe-laying next year.
But the closure at Upper Street means thousands of cars which usually use the road are now using the single-track lanes nearby.
There are reports of problems in Back Street, Caring Lane, Forge Lane, Old Mill Road, Burberry Lane and Broomfield Road.
SEW recently linked heavy vehicle use of the B2163 with burst pipes, leading to renewed calls for a relief road.
There are closures from April 6 - 11 from Horseshoes Lane and George Lane.
An SEW letter to residents said: "You may be aware your area has suffered a number of bursts resulting in low pressure or no water.
"This is unacceptable...we plan to replace 1.6km (0.99m) of old, unreliable water main in Upper Street (Leeds) south of Leeds and Broomfield CoE Primary School and Burberry Lane as early as 2022."
Residents are angry that HGVs, which are banned from the village continue to drive through with no enforcement by Kent Police.
- CCTV APPEAL: Maidstone shop worker racially abused over face mask request
- BREAKING: Central reservation on M20 'hit by two cars' in Maidstone
- WARNING: Crash halts traffic on M20 near Maidstone
- CRIME: Police seize three catapults from 'lads' in Maidstone town centre
- INJUNCTION: Boxley farmer ordered by High Court to clear up dump site
- WITNESS APPEAL: Youth shelter and picnic table 'burnt and vandalised'
- BREAKING: Car fire 'started deliberately' in Maidstone
- WARNING: New Cut Road in Maidstone to close tomorrow night