Tom Tugendhat to back Gove in first round contest for PM
Wednesday 12th June 2019
THE Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Select Committee Tom Tugendhat is backing Michael Gove in the first round of the leadership contest.
Tom Tugendhat, the MP for Tonbridge and Malling, says Michael Gove has the experience and ingenuity to steer the country through the Brexit negotiations and beyond.
The Foreign Affairs Select Committee is hugely influential in the British Parliamentary system and, especially, in the context of Brexit.
The MP says it is clear that views remain mixed across the country but he believes all those who have put their hat in the ring “will do their best for the country”. “This”, he said: “made choosing a candidate difficult.”
Opting to support Michael Gove in the first round of the leadership contest, Tom Tugendhat said: “Although there are many changes I would like to see, the first task of the new administration will be delivering Brexit, that’s why I think it’s important to have someone committed to leaving the EU; someone who has campaigned to leave for decades and led the Vote Leave campaign in 2016.”
He continued that Michael Gove had also demonstrated the “vision and ingenuity” in departments from education to the environment, and the ability to change things for the better.
He said: “I’m interested in what the candidates are offering our country in the future and if they have the skills to deliver on that vision. Michael clearly has both, that’s why I’m backing him now.”
- CRASH: Collision causing long delays on main road in Maidstone
- WEATHER: Met Office announce heatwave warning for Kent
- EVENT: Tyson Fury is coming to Maidstone
- LATEST: Road to shut for six weeks in Maidstone
- WARNING: Footway closure near Maidstone
- WARNING: Road shuts for pothole repair works near Maidstone
- WARNING: Six day road closure to repair electricity fault near Maidstone
- DONATION: Charity benefits as planning campaign continues in Marden