Tory quits borough seat to concentrate on county council role
Wednesday 11th July 2018
CONSERVATIVE Maidstone borough councillor Shellina Prendergast has quit - sparking a by-election.
She fells that she is unable to fufill her obligations as well as being a member of Kent County Council.
Her friend and fellow Headcorn councillor Martin Round said Cllr Prendergast has "two full time jobs" and was unsurprised she quit.
He said: "We have some very big issues locally - housing developments, fly-tipping and planning and enforcement being chief among them. Shellina has got a lot to do at borough level and she has got the county council work as well. It's like having two full time jobs."
In a statement, Cllr Prendergast said: "It is with regret that I have submitted my resignation from Maidstone council. This decision was not taken lightly, and my motives are purely in the interests of those residents I represent at both borough and county level.
"Having worked as a 'twin-hatter' for more than a year now, it has become clear to me that the ward deserves to have three voices fighting its corner rather than the two it has currently.
"Headcorn falls within my Kent County Council Division of Maidstone Rural East, and I will continue to represent residents where I feel I can facilitate the best outcomes for those who have given me a mandate to represent them."
- BREXIT POLL - should there be a second EU referendum? VOTE!
- M20 disruption in the next few days - full details
- BREXIT POLL: Should we hold a second referendum? Vote now...
- Police looking for man who burgled a Maidstone woman who is in her 90s
- Road closed near Maidstone to fix leaking water main
- Natwest bank online, telephone and mobile customers locked out of their accounts
- Girlguiding event at Leeds Castle
- Van driver cut from wreckage of vehicle after crash near Maidstone