Tory quits borough seat to concentrate on county council role
Wednesday 11th July 2018
CONSERVATIVE Maidstone borough councillor Shellina Prendergast has quit - sparking a by-election.
She fells that she is unable to fufill her obligations as well as being a member of Kent County Council.
Her friend and fellow Headcorn councillor Martin Round said Cllr Prendergast has "two full time jobs" and was unsurprised she quit.
He said: "We have some very big issues locally - housing developments, fly-tipping and planning and enforcement being chief among them. Shellina has got a lot to do at borough level and she has got the county council work as well. It's like having two full time jobs."
In a statement, Cllr Prendergast said: "It is with regret that I have submitted my resignation from Maidstone council. This decision was not taken lightly, and my motives are purely in the interests of those residents I represent at both borough and county level.
"Having worked as a 'twin-hatter' for more than a year now, it has become clear to me that the ward deserves to have three voices fighting its corner rather than the two it has currently.
"Headcorn falls within my Kent County Council Division of Maidstone Rural East, and I will continue to represent residents where I feel I can facilitate the best outcomes for those who have given me a mandate to represent them."
- WARNING: 21 day temporary speed limit near Maidstone
- WARNING: Temporary traffic lights in Maidstone
- LATEST: Jeffery Mills, 54, appears in court accused of Shepway murder
- HGV CRASH: Roundabout collision causing long delays in Maidstone
- CLOSED: Hollingbourne Hill to close for drainage works
- CLOSED: Road closure near Maidstone for carriageway works
- SHEPWAY MURDER: Jeffery Mills, 54, charged - full details
- Maidstone rail users fall victim to disruption on the lines over Easter