Tory quits borough seat to concentrate on county council role
Wednesday 11th July 2018
CONSERVATIVE Maidstone borough councillor Shellina Prendergast has quit - sparking a by-election.
She fells that she is unable to fufill her obligations as well as being a member of Kent County Council.
Her friend and fellow Headcorn councillor Martin Round said Cllr Prendergast has "two full time jobs" and was unsurprised she quit.
He said: "We have some very big issues locally - housing developments, fly-tipping and planning and enforcement being chief among them. Shellina has got a lot to do at borough level and she has got the county council work as well. It's like having two full time jobs."
In a statement, Cllr Prendergast said: "It is with regret that I have submitted my resignation from Maidstone council. This decision was not taken lightly, and my motives are purely in the interests of those residents I represent at both borough and county level.
"Having worked as a 'twin-hatter' for more than a year now, it has become clear to me that the ward deserves to have three voices fighting its corner rather than the two it has currently.
"Headcorn falls within my Kent County Council Division of Maidstone Rural East, and I will continue to represent residents where I feel I can facilitate the best outcomes for those who have given me a mandate to represent them."
- EXCLUSIVE: Maidstone council's High Court battle over relief road cash goes on
- PANTO: Hazlitt steps in to help disappointed Snow White ticket holders
- CLOSED: Three day road closure in Aylesford
- MOST WANTED: Police search for Sara Farmer after serious assault in Maidstone
- Housing association hands out hampers for the lonely
- Hazlitt Theatre to put on extra perfomance after rival panto is cancelled
- Panto at Aylesford Friars folds amid claims of lack of support - local anger
- Burst water pipe in Maidstone causes disruption and delays