Tory quits borough seat to concentrate on county council role
Wednesday 11th July 2018
CONSERVATIVE Maidstone borough councillor Shellina Prendergast has quit - sparking a by-election.
She fells that she is unable to fufill her obligations as well as being a member of Kent County Council.
Her friend and fellow Headcorn councillor Martin Round said Cllr Prendergast has "two full time jobs" and was unsurprised she quit.
He said: "We have some very big issues locally - housing developments, fly-tipping and planning and enforcement being chief among them. Shellina has got a lot to do at borough level and she has got the county council work as well. It's like having two full time jobs."
In a statement, Cllr Prendergast said: "It is with regret that I have submitted my resignation from Maidstone council. This decision was not taken lightly, and my motives are purely in the interests of those residents I represent at both borough and county level.
"Having worked as a 'twin-hatter' for more than a year now, it has become clear to me that the ward deserves to have three voices fighting its corner rather than the two it has currently.
"Headcorn falls within my Kent County Council Division of Maidstone Rural East, and I will continue to represent residents where I feel I can facilitate the best outcomes for those who have given me a mandate to represent them."
- 23/07/2018 - Fans complain about waiting hours in car waiting to leave Little Mix event
- 23/07/2018 - Amber Alert for Kent as heatwave set to last 5 more days
- 23/07/2018 - Operation Stack replacement may not be ready in time for Brexit
- 23/07/2018 - Firefighters tackle large fire at industrial estate near Maidstone
- 20/07/2018 - EXCLUSIVE: True cost to tax-payer of council's failed High Court action
- 20/07/2018 - Hammer wielding thief jailed for two years
- 20/07/2018 - New appointments as county council leader reveals Cabinet shake-up
- 20/07/2018 - Police issue on-line scam alert as Maidstone man duped of thousands