Travellers blamed for Early Bird trouble as Tesco at Grove Green 'closed early'
Tuesday 6th September 2016
Tesco in Grove Green was forced to shut early and police were called to the Early Bird public house after a disturbance reportedly caused by members of the travelling community.
Locals reported caravans parked up in the car park near the staff entrance to the store at the weekend and, according to sources, flooded the toilets inside.
Residents reported mess and waste in the area.
Police confimed they were alled to the popular Early Bird public house which is located in the square nest to Tesco and the nearby parade of shops.
A spokesman said: "We responded at 11.41pm on Saturday to a report that a group of people entered the pub and damaged a number of glasses.
"Officers attended and dispersed the group. There were no injuries."
An Early Bird staff member confirmed there has been trouble but the pub had reopened for business. The pub's manager was approached for a comment.
Tesco was approached for a comment but did not respond.
But staff member told us: "They parked up in the car park and made a real nuisance of themselves and messed the place. They were in here thieving and causing trouble at the pub. So we had to close early, at 10pm."
Reports have emerged today that travellers have set up camp in the Medway Street car park in the town centre.
- OUT NOW! Pick up the latest edition or read online
- REMEMBRANCE: Where to find your poppy this year - details
- DUMPED: Dozens of chickens left in village near Maidstone, says RSPCA
- WANTED: Police search for suspect in burglary and assault at service station
- FREE SCHOOL MEALS: County council offers £15 per child to avoid half-term hunger
- SINKHOLE DRAMA: Another land collapse in Barming - close to new homes
- 999 ALERT: Woman injured sparks major emergency scramble - details
- PAUL HOOKER: A mass of floral tributes to local man who died in crash