Tributes to Lib Dem activist and ex-Mayor Brian Mortimer who died this morning
Friday 24th May 2019
Tributes have been paid to a long-serving member of the council who died this morning.
Former Mayor of Maidstone Brian Mortimer (65) of Coxheath had been suffering from cancer for some time and died peacefully at the Heart of Kent Hospice.
Colleagues and friends remember the "jovial and smiley" man who would help anyone and who made friends with ease.
Fellow Liberal Democrat Cllr Richard Webb said it was Mr Mortimer who had persuaded him to go into politics.
But it was Cllr Webb's mother Cynthia who had earlier suggested Mr Mortimer would make a good councillor.
Cllr Webb added: "I will definitely miss him very much. I have known him since the 1980s and everyone knew him as a jovial, kind and helpful individual.
"He never turned anyone away who needed help. He got me into the political scene after my mother had persuaded him to get involved years and years before."
Opposition Conservative leader at MBC Cllr John Perry said: "Anyone who knew Brian will speak of a laughing, smiling chap who made friends wherever he went. He had really did have that effect on people.
"My thoughts are with his family and with the many colleagues who I know will mourn the passing of a very good man and much-resepected councillor and former mayor."
Mr Mortimer had been a Liberal Democrat borough councillor for more than 20 years when he lost his seat last year.
He lost out to Lottie Parfitt-Reid who spoke in warm terms of her opponent after the 2018 local election.
Mr Mortimer leaves his wife Dianne, two children and one grandchild.
OBITUARY IN DOWNS MAIL
- MOTORWAY DELAYS: Highways England announces diversions tonight on M20 and M2
- WARNING: Van man stalker 'followed me into woods' says female dog walker
- Collateral to stop in Kent as part of nation-wide tour
- GALLERY: Pictures from inside Leeds Castle of its enchanting festival of flowers
- ROAD CLOSURE: Sewer works planned for up to 12 days near Maidstone
- POLL: Does Maidstone Borough Council provide good value for money? VOTE NOW
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Crash causing delays on the A249 near Maidstone
- FIRE: Crews tackle mattress blaze in Maidstone shopping centre