UPDATE: Farm fire with 100 tonnes of hay alight - latest news
Thursday 9th August 2018
Firefighters are still at the scene of a large barn fire near Maidstone.
Around 100 tonnes of baled hay was alight and 70 tonnes has been desrtroyed.
Farm machinery is now being used to drag bales of the winter fodder away from the open Dutch-style building.
Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) has been on site since yesterday morning.
A statement from KFRS said: "Update at 10:40 on August 9: Kent Fire and Rescue Service is continuing to deal with a fire inside a large barn in The Street, Stockbury.
"Due to the nature of the incident, which initially involved approximately 100 tonnes of baled hay alight, now reduced to around 30 tonnes, this is a long job.
"Two fire engines are now at the scene for manpower and farm machinery is being used to drag the hay out of the barn. Two hose reel jets are being used to extinguish the blaze.
"Properties in the surrounding area are still advised to keep windows and doors closed due to smoke." .
- M20 ROADWORKS: Details of closures and disruption in coming days
- Headcorn to get a new nursery at primary school
- Leeds Castle launches 900th anniversary celebrations for 201C
- UPDATE: Kent Highways release update on Barming sinkhole road re-opening
- Government confirms its pledge to bring Thameslink rail service to Maidstone
- Take Me Out are giving away free tickets for eleventh series in Maidstone
- TRAFFIC UPDATE: Village reopens after water leak closure
- Stranded couple allowed back home after newborn tragedy