UPDATE: Farm fire with 100 tonnes of hay alight - latest news
Thursday 9th August 2018
Firefighters are still at the scene of a large barn fire near Maidstone.
Around 100 tonnes of baled hay was alight and 70 tonnes has been desrtroyed.
Farm machinery is now being used to drag bales of the winter fodder away from the open Dutch-style building.
Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) has been on site since yesterday morning.
A statement from KFRS said: "Update at 10:40 on August 9: Kent Fire and Rescue Service is continuing to deal with a fire inside a large barn in The Street, Stockbury.
"Due to the nature of the incident, which initially involved approximately 100 tonnes of baled hay alight, now reduced to around 30 tonnes, this is a long job.
"Two fire engines are now at the scene for manpower and farm machinery is being used to drag the hay out of the barn. Two hose reel jets are being used to extinguish the blaze.
"Properties in the surrounding area are still advised to keep windows and doors closed due to smoke." .
- Landowner reveals 1,000 homes plans as council 'call for sites' deadline passes
- WARNING: Restrictions in place from next week on rural road - details
- Shaina Marston and Damian Parsonage accused of stealing meat and Easter eggs
- CRASH: Collision blocks roundabout near Maidstone - expect long delays
- Busy village road near Maidstone to shut for urgent road works
- Drunken science teacher smashed car into lamp post in Maidstone
- LIFE IN PRISON: Minimum 32 years for house blaze killer Simon Childs
- Tributes to Lib Dem activist and ex-Mayor Brian Mortimer who died this morning