Ukip official cheats jail over MEP expenses scam
Wednesday 7th September 2016
A Ukip official to one of Kent’s most controversial MEPs has been spared jail after admitting her involvement in an expenses scam.
Christine Hewitt, 55, of Townsend Square, King’s Hill, paid £950 for a meal in The Hoy pub in Thanet in March 2015.
But Hewitt, who was the chief of staff to south east MEP Janice Atkinson, who shot to infamy by describing a British Thai woman as a “ting tong”, asked the restaurant to give her a £3,150 bill.
The scam was uncovered in an expose in a national newspaper.
Hewitt appeared in front of a judge at Canterbury Crown Court where it was heard that the inflated bill would have been passed to an organisation to reimburse the money, which would have ultimately been paid for by the British taxpayer.
The tearful defendant put her head in her hands when Judge William Kennedy told her that she would not be sent to prison during a 20 minute hearing earlier this month.
She will be sentenced today.
- OUT NOW! Pick up the latest edition or read online
- REMEMBRANCE: Where to find your poppy this year - details
- DUMPED: Dozens of chickens left in village near Maidstone, says RSPCA
- WANTED: Police search for suspect in burglary and assault at service station
- FREE SCHOOL MEALS: County council offers £15 per child to avoid half-term hunger
- SINKHOLE DRAMA: Another land collapse in Barming - close to new homes
- 999 ALERT: Woman injured sparks major emergency scramble - details
- PAUL HOOKER: A mass of floral tributes to local man who died in crash