Ukip official cheats jail over MEP expenses scam
Wednesday 7th September 2016
A Ukip official to one of Kent’s most controversial MEPs has been spared jail after admitting her involvement in an expenses scam.
Christine Hewitt, 55, of Townsend Square, King’s Hill, paid £950 for a meal in The Hoy pub in Thanet in March 2015.
But Hewitt, who was the chief of staff to south east MEP Janice Atkinson, who shot to infamy by describing a British Thai woman as a “ting tong”, asked the restaurant to give her a £3,150 bill.
The scam was uncovered in an expose in a national newspaper.
Hewitt appeared in front of a judge at Canterbury Crown Court where it was heard that the inflated bill would have been passed to an organisation to reimburse the money, which would have ultimately been paid for by the British taxpayer.
The tearful defendant put her head in her hands when Judge William Kennedy told her that she would not be sent to prison during a 20 minute hearing earlier this month.
She will be sentenced today.
- CLOSED: Village road to shut
- WARNING: Fallen tree shuts road near Maidstone
- CCTV APPEAL: Man in his 60s targeted in distraction cash theft
- VAN CRASH: Two men arrested following 'motorcycle theft' near Maidstone
- LIB DEM CRISIS: Two more council resignations being considered
- LOCAL BOOST: Elmer Parade's £7m injection into local economy
- COVID-19 LATEST: Children aged 12 to 15 to be offered jab
- WARNING: Heavy rain to hit Maidstone tonight