Ukip's massive victory in Shepway South by-election
Friday 9th September 2016
UKIP retained the Shepway South seat on Maidstone Borough Council hours after a leading independent crossed the floor to the Eurosceptic party.
John Barned, 73, of Lenham, swept in with a massive 45.2% of the vote, leaving the Tory candidate behind by almost 23%.
The election result on September 8 came hours after respected Downswood and Otham member Gordon Newton announced he would be joining Ukip.
Mr Barned is himself a defector from the Tories last year.
The by-election was sparked by the sudden death of Dave Sergeant in May this year.
Tory Bob Hinder fought on a platform calling for a Leeds-Langley relief road, which he believes is crucial to easing traffic issues at Willington Street, Senacre and Shepway.
Ukip's Eddie Powell is pictured here with Cllr Gordon Newton on the Shepway South campaign trail.
Shepway South (Maidstone) result:
UKIP: 45.2% (+1.3)
CON: 22.5% (+0.2)
LAB: 19.2% (-8.3)
IND: 9.2% (+9.2)
LDEM: 3.9% (-2.4)
- London architects chosen by council for archbishop's palace future
- LENHAM HEATH: MP survey shows massive opposition to council 5,000 homes plan
- CRASH: Main road shuts in BOTH directions following serious RTC near Maidstone
- RTC: Crash sparks major delays in Maidstone
- Bright sparks bring some light to the lives of homeless
- CRIME: Dispersal order results in more than 17 arrests in Maidstone
- URGENT APPEAL: Thieves steal cars before colliding with police near Maidstone
- LATEST: Plan for 421 homes in Otham