WINNER: Leeds school boy comes in first place at World Crazy Golf Championships
Friday 14th June 2019
A LEEDS school boy claimed first place at the first ever junior World Crazy Golf Championships.
Nine-year-old Cameron Fincher attended the 12-hole tournament on Friday, June 7 at Hastings Adventure Golf.
The Leeds and Broomfield Primary School pupil travelled all the way from the family home in Wykeham Grove in Leeds Village with his dad, Dave, to attend the championships and bring home the win for Maidstone. He shot an impressive 25 points and came in first place by one shot.
His mum, Debbie Fincher said: “Cameron has been playing golf since he was about five years old but only recently got into crazy golf this year. He has only attended a couple of tournaments so far. My husband first introduced him to the sport on holidays and family days out but Cameron really took to it.
“He was up against 37 other children aged between eight and 14 so he was one of the youngest children there. It is the first time they have ever done a junior category so he did so well. He stayed for the Saturday tournament as well where he played against the adults and came 13th.
“The junior competition was a very close match but he has already applied for next year’s tournament as the organisers have now announced the details for 2020.”
A spokesman for Hastings Adventure Golf said: “Having only played the course once before and travelling down all the way from Maidstone, he shot an impressive 25 to take the title by one shot. Congratulations Cameron, the first ever World Crazy Golf Junior Champion.”
This year’s tournament was the first time in the World Crazy Golf Championships’ 17-year history that a junior category, for children aged eight to 14, was included.
- CLOSURE: Broken down vehicle on M20 near Maidstone
- BREAKING: Cars held up after van sends crates of plums crashing onto the A20
- BREAKING: M20 blocked due to RTC in Maidstone
- MOTE PARK ATTACK: Women 'punched, kicked and spat at' in Maidstone
- WARNING: Weavering Street to shut for three days
- BEARSTED ALLOTMENTS: 40 protestors at fiery meeting of parish council
- UPDATE: Fire crews tackle large blaze at the National Grid site - full details
- MAJOR FIRE: 12 crews tackle large blaze at the National Grid site - full details