Young footballers take on the world
Thursday 12th June 2014
MORE than 300 children from schools across the borough joined in a Mini World Cup at the Gallagher Stadium, home to Maidstone United.
Minister for Sport and MP for Maidstone and the Weald Helen Grant was among visitors to the tournament, which saw 32 teams competing.
Greece, represented by Roseacre Junior School, won the cup and were presented with the replica World Cup trophy by the MP following their 1-0 win over Sandling Primary’s Chile in the final.
Helen said: “I’d like to pay tribute to all involved in the organisation of the Mini World Cup – a fantastic way of engaging the local community and tremendous fun.”
With weather conditions approaching those that England might expect in Brazil later this summer, the children put in sterling effort in tremendous heat.
The event was co-ordinated by John Saunders from the Maidstone School Sport Partnership.
- OUT NOW! Pick up the latest edition or read online
- CCTV APPEAL: Car with false number plates linked to Maidstone fuel theft
- LATEST: Person hit by train at West Malling railway station
- BREAKING: Person hit by train near Maidstone
- HAZLITT LATEST: Maidstone performers share their talents to unite theatre-lovers
- CUSTODY: Man charged following knifepoint robbery in Maidstone
- BAILED: Woman 'spilt noxious substance' on shop worker in Maidstone
- HOUSING: Otham 440-houses appeal closes - Maidstone awaits its fate